It is summer in Anchorage Alaska, the weather is nice so I decided to ride my bicycle to my local Arbys. I am in my 60’s.

When I got there the door was locked and a sign said ‘Lobby closed for renovation; the drive up window is open’. So I walked my bike over to the drive up window. A car was just pulling away and there were no other cars in line. The guy at the window was about 17.

I told him I would like to make an order. He said they are not allowed to serve me unless I am in a car. I told him the lobby is closed and asked if this is not a special circumstance. He was polite but said he still is not able to serve me.

So I asked to speak to the manager. I figured the ‘must be in a car’ policy must apply to situations when the lobby is open. He closed the window and went in the back. Eight minutes later a different young man (about 20) came to the window and locked it.

He took a moment to write something on a piece of paper. He put it against the glass. It said ‘It is against company policy to serve you unless you are in a car.’ I asked if I could talk to him. I was not sure he heard me since the window was still closed.

Then he left the window. Six minutes later he returned. By this time there were two cars behind me. He put up a second note.

It said ‘It is company policy to not open the window unless you are in a car. We have called ASP’ I leaned closer to the glass and said ‘What is ASP?‘ Then I said ‘Can we just talk loudly through the glass?’ He left the window, never to return. As I was leaving I passed by the open windows of the cars behind me. I told them I was refused service because I was not in a car.

One lady responded ‘That is ridiculous!’ I went across the street and ate at Taco Bell.

I am sure the young manager was following policy. Arbys corporation this is on you.

Give your managers enough authority to make a judgment call in special circumstances. At the very least he could have talked to me.

previously regular customer, now Unsatisfied Customer

Product or Service Mentioned: Arbys Manager.

Reason of review: Order processing issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments